Boston Linux Meeting Wednesday, December 16, 2009 Building Google's Chromium OS

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sun Dec 6 16:27:43 EST 2009

When:      December 16, 2009 7PM (6:30PM for Q&A)
Topic:     Building Google's Chromium OS
Moderators:
	Ryan Cairns (Google's Chrome OS Software Engineering team)
	Kan Liu (Google's Chrome OS Product Management)
	Brian DeLacey (early experiences using Chromium OS)
Location:  MIT Building E51, Room 325

An overview and technical real-time tour of Google's recently introduced
Chromium OS

You'll get a comprehensive technical overview of Google's early release
of Chromium OS - a new Linux-powered open source operating system. The
presentations will introduce you to the overall architecture as well as
the pointers you'll need to build it for yourself.

We're fortunate to have two expert Googlers on-hand - Ryan Cairns and
Kan Liu - to lead you on a high-powered technical tour of the Chrome OS
landscape. Brian DeLacey will recap his early experiences working with
Chromium OS.

The meeting will dive into technical and user-friendly aspects of
Chromium OS. We will build the software from source as the meeting
progresses. We'll step through and discuss the various scripts and
procedures that make up the build process. We'll also talk about some of
the earliest hardware used to test Chromium OS.

When Google ships Chrome OS in 2010, what features will you be looking
for? What hardware do you want to see this on? How will this new OS be
used when it comes to market next year? Bring your questions, thoughts,
and open source offerings to help!  If you'd like to try out Chromium OS
for yourself, bring along a 4 GB thumb drive to the meeting. We'll have
things set up so you can easily get a fresh and free copy.

We have a few more surprises in store for the meeting - including a door
prize raffle from the good folks at O'Reilly Media. We'll also have some
snacks and drinks.

If you'd like to participate in advance - tearing apart code or pulling
together the best mobile web apps - please contact Brian DeLacey
<bdelacey at gmail.com>

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os

For further information and directions please consult the BLU Web site
http://www.blu.org
Please note that there is usually plenty of free parking in the E-51
parking lot at 2 Amherst St, or on Amherst St.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix