[semi-OT] alternatives to FairPoint in Nashua?

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Sun Dec 6 21:39:43 EST 2009

I help out with some of the technology stuff at a Nashua non-profit,
and we're having a frustrating experience getting our DSL to work
again with FairPoint (*see below for the whole story).

For one phone line + voicemail + DSL, I think it's about $75/month.

Are there any alternatives to FairPoint for internet + phone line in
Nashua?  We're far enough away from Main Street to miss out on the
free Wi-Fi.

Thanks,
Peter

The story:
The non-profit is Greater Nashua Habitat for Humanity and our original
office was in the basement of the church at 154 Main Street in Nashua.
 Last year, we were given larger, more accessible space at 63 Temple
Street.  At that time, we had Verizon phone and DSL in the 154 Main
Street office and we added a phone line and DSL in the 63 Temple
Street office.  Since we envisioned 63 Temple Street to be our primary
office, we moved our phone number there and then got a new number for
the 154 Main Street office.

After being in our new office for a while, we decided that we weren't
utilizing our phone + internet at the old office enough to justify the
cost, so we call up FairPoint (formerly Verizon) and order them to
shut off our phone and DSL in the old office (November 16, 2009).
Around 5:30 p.m. that same day while we happen to be in the office,
the internet goes out (phone still works).  Restarting the router/DSL
modem don't fix the problem.  The next day, someone calls to confirm
that our request to shut off service at the old office is not
affecting the DSL service we want to keep.  (We're an all-volunteer
organization; I was away for Thanksgiving week).  On November 30,
2009, I stop in our old office (154 Main Street) and, lo and behold,
the DSL line is working, but the phone is out.  So with this
information in hand, I call up FairPoint and tell them that they shut
off the phone at one office and the DSL at the other office.  I tell
and re-tell this story to 4 different FairPoint workers, each promptly
deciding it's not their problem and directing me to call another
number.  Finally, I get them to put in a ticket.  I call periodically
during the week to see if the ticket has been resolved and on Friday,
they say everything should be working and we just need to power-cycle
the router and DSL modem.  I get into the office and try this today
(Sunday), and after this doesn't work I call FairPoint and find out
that the ticket that they said was resolved was in fact never resolved
and they are still working on it.  At this point, I feel like I'm
getting mis-information and I'm not sure the best way to proceed.