[GNHLUG] Ruby/Rails group: Josh Nicholls and Brian Turnbull: RubyGems, Jeweler, Rails 2.3

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Thu Feb 12 11:51:24 EST 2009

We’ve got two talks lined up for the February NH.rb gathering, which
will be held on Thursday the 19th at 7PM at RMC Research in Portsmouth.

First, Josh Nichols <http://technicalpickles.com>, Boston.rb coordinator
and Scotch advocate, will be presenting on Ruby Gems <http://rubygems.org>:

    RubyGems are the packaging system used by Ruby to distribute
    libraries. What people forget is that it’s pretty easy to make and
    distribute your own gems. This talk will cover the basics of
    creating and managing a RubyGem using Rake and GitHub. Jeweler
    <http://github.com/technicalpickles/jeweler>, a tool for automating
    these tasks, will also be covered.

Next up, hometown hero Brian Turnbull <http://brianturnbull.com> will
give a presentation detailing the new features in Rails 2.3
<http://rubyonrails.org> (currently available as a release candidate)
followed by an in-depth discussion of Rails Metal:

    Built on the new Rack <http://rack.rubyforge.org> middleware in
    Rails 2.3, Metal forgoes the niceties of routing and
    ActionController in exchange for raw speed. Brian will demonstrate
    how to incorporate Rails Metal into a Rails 2.3 application, compare
    performance with the regular Rails stack, and discuss when to use
    and not use Rails Metal.

Refreshments will be provided (thanks to our friends at Engine Yard),
and we also have some more great giveaways this month, courtesy of O’Reilly.

Links, directions and more can be found at http://nhruby.org