compiling gcc q's

Michael Nolin michaelnolin at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 13:50:39 EST 2009

> > dependencies. I have to be sure I get releases of gcc
> and binutils
> > that were part of the same tools release.
> >
> > mnolin at NOLIN-ws:/local/gnu>
> > binutils-2.17/  gcc-4.1.0/  gdb
> >

> > Michael Nolin
> >

> How does one match them up?  Is there a binutils that
> matches gcc 4.3.1 ?
> I have
> binutils-2.17.50.0.6, gcc-4.1.1 & gdb-6.5

Allot of embedded CPU sites give you a good idea which releases go together.
http://users.rcn.com/rneswold/avr/c51.html the fsf.org releases used to do a better job of organizing this..

It looks like you already have a pretty good match, binutils does not change nearly as frequently as gcc, though I was not able to find a reference to the version of binutils the following mentions a dependency on GMP and MPFR.

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.3/changes.html

Perhaps it is just a build order,

The following suggests you are not alone as well as binutils needs to be built first.

http://bytes.com/topic/unix/answers/819978-gcc-4-3-1-installtion-problem

Michael Nolin