Blackduck Software and IP

Arc Riley arcriley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 11:38:56 EST 2009

> I guess this could be ignorance on my part, but it was my
> understanding that at least with the GPL, one could do whatever they
> want with the code. But if the code was later distributed, one had to
> abide by the additional terms of the GPL.

Your understanding is correct, private use is not restricted by freely
licensed software.

The GPL and AGPL differ in the scope of private use however in that the
latter the copyleft terms are applied to all users of the software,
regardless of whether they receive a copy or merely use it over a computer
network (ie, a webapp, chat server, etc).

AGPLv3 covered works can include GPLv2+/GPLv3 code.