Postfix authentication to ComCast port 587

Bayard Coolidge n1ho at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 09:19:50 EST 2009

Michael, you're not being singled out - I got the same nastygram a month
or two ago down here in South Florida. Apparently they view ANY attempts
to transmit e-mail on Port 25 as spam - the fact that they never bothered
to document to its paying users (like you and me) that they wanted us to
use Port 587 instead is, of course, another example of how wonderful
Comcast is. But we have tolerate bit torrent throttling and download caps.

>From the discussion here on this list when I whined about about it,
it seems that Port 25 is the default for Windows spamming machines, so
Comcast uses obfuscation to avoid the problem.

BTW, I forward what very little spam I get to "missed-spam at comcast.net",
as well as "spam at uce.gov".

HTH,

Bayard