"SUSE Studio" enters Alpha

Michael Kazin mkazin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:30:05 EST 2009

SUSE Studio is certainly an ambitious initiative taking package
management technology one step further.  The http://Studio.SUSE.com
website claims it will eventually let you:
* Create a tuned server appliance, containing your application and
just enough operating system components
* Spin a live CD or DVD with just the packages and software you need
* Create a ready-to-run VMware virtual appliance
* Create a live USB key and carry your Linux system with you wherever you go
* Build a hard disk image for preloading onto hardware
* Install from your live CD, DVD or USB key to your hard drive

I've never been a huge fan of SUSE, but IF this project actually goes
live I could see switching for many new servers I build.  Especially
those going  on old hardware.

Check out the screencast for a brief demonstration.  An invitation is
required to play and these are not being sent yet, but you can sign up
to be included in an upcoming batch.  Please let us know if you've
been invited- this seems like a wonderful demonstration for upcoming
meetings.

Source: http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/27/008227