SATA hot swap

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Jun 17 19:03:32 EDT 2009

On 06/09/2009 08:50 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> sync, unmount, power off, yank connector.

unmount, sync?

> I've never had to
> bother with rescanning the bus on insert either.

For some reason I often see the drives in dmesg but have to 'partprobe'
to get everything squared up.

> Of course, some SATA chipsets (and/or drivers) behave better than
> others, but Intel's ICH stuff tends to be pretty solid in my experience.
> YMMV with other chipsets.

Yeah, ICH for disk is very good.  I'm currently fighting an ICH10 for
SATA DVD, though, but that might not be its fault (BIOS, linux, dunno).

I've been happy with sil SATA too when the drivers are mature.  Sun used
Marvell Hercules-2 in their 45-way Thumper athlon storage box, which
Supermicro sells in an PCIX flavor.  I've learned to run away screaming
like a little girl from 3Ware SATA of late.

I've been writing a little raid helper script that will do all of this
for you given a mount point.  It's got to be done by the end of this
month...

-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/