SATA hot swap

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jun 17 21:57:30 EDT 2009

On 06/17/2009 07:03 PM, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On 06/09/2009 08:50 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> sync, unmount, power off, yank connector.
>
> unmount, sync?

Huh?

>> I've never had to
>> bother with rescanning the bus on insert either.
>
> For some reason I often see the drives in dmesg but have to 'partprobe'
> to get everything squared up.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever hot-plugged an esata
drive into a machine that didn't have X up and running, so perhaps
udev/hal/whatever is doing some magic for me behind the scenes. Headless
boxes, I've only used FireWire and USB external drives.

>> Of course, some SATA chipsets (and/or drivers) behave better than
>> others, but Intel's ICH stuff tends to be pretty solid in my experience.
>> YMMV with other chipsets.
>
> Yeah, ICH for disk is very good.  I'm currently fighting an ICH10 for
> SATA DVD, though, but that might not be its fault (BIOS, linux, dunno).

Also a relatively new variant of ICH. But I've seen more than a few BIOS
that didn't handle sata optical drives particularly well. The Plextor
DVD burner hooked to my ICH7 sata here works great though.

> I've been happy with sil SATA too when the drivers are mature.  Sun used
> Marvell Hercules-2 in their 45-way Thumper athlon storage box, which
> Supermicro sells in an PCIX flavor.

I've had mixed results with Silicon Image controllers. Mostly sane, but
not always. JMicron? Run the other way. Marvell... Works reasonably
well, but there's one variant that requires a module option to disable
scanning for ata drives on it, because they recycled a device ID or
something. The pure sata Marvell controller in my workstation here at
home requires 'ahci.marvell_enable=1' to get the ahci driver to bind to
it, or pata_marvell takes over and makes everything non-functional
(iirc). I've also got a ServerWorks sata controller in one box that is a
bit annoying, in that the dmraid driver doesn't support much of any of
the fakeraid options it provides. Not sure if that's dmraid's fault or
sata_svw's fault.

> I've learned to run away screaming
> like a little girl from 3Ware SATA of late.

Really? I'm still quite partial to my 3ware stuff, but its a bit dated
now -- my workstation in the office has a 12-port 9550SX (PCI-X) card in
it that works fantastically.

> I've been writing a little raid helper script that will do all of this
> for you given a mount point.  It's got to be done by the end of this
> month...

Ooh, fun!...

--jarod