Labeling Multipath drives

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Wed Mar 18 09:57:03 EDT 2009

Kenny Lussier wrote:

> This is true. For example, in /dev/mapper there is a device called
> 350002ac00092072a1.  I can label the device, but that also creates
> labels on what the OS sees as /dev/sdc, /dev/sdd, /dev/sde, /dev/sdf,
> /dev/sdg, /dev/sdh, /dev/sdi, and /dev/sdj, so a mount fails.  The SAN
> doesn't come with client-side multipathing software. That is really up
> to the OS vendor. In this case, I am using device-mapper-multipath on
> RHEL5.3AP (w/ their clustering suite) with a 3Par SAN. The SAN is
> presenting all of the paths to both systems simultaneously. That isn't
> a problem. And, if I wanted to use GFS to have the disk mounted to
> both servers simultaneously, then that would work just fine. But, I
> can't have the disk mounted on more then one system at any given time.

I know the problem since I just did this across 4 systems for an Oracle
install.  We're using EMC gear, so I wound up using (and paying for) the
EMC PowerPath software, which Does The Right Thing and presents disks as
/dev/emcpower? and you can then have failover between FC connections.  I
even have some udev rules to set ownership correctly.  The /dev/sd?
disks still appear, but you don't want to use them directly for the
reasons you mentioned.

I did a quick check on using device mapper, but I can't guarantee how
disks appear from the SAN and DM appears to rely on using the /dev/sd?
names to know where things go.  Between that, the ease of use of
PowerPath, the fact I wasn't paying for it, and I didn't have time to
learn DM, I went with PowerPath.  I think that's the clustering software
that was referred to earlier.

If you find a way to use DM in this manner, I'm interested to know your
results and how you set this up.  I'm also using RHEL 5.3.

-Mark