Labeling Multipath drives

mark prgrmr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 10:00:13 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Kenny Lussier <

> This is true. For example, in /dev/mapper there is a device called
> 350002ac00092072a1.  I can label the device, but that also creates labels on
> what the OS sees as /dev/sdc, /dev/sdd, /dev/sde, /dev/sdf, /dev/sdg,
> /dev/sdh, /dev/sdi, and /dev/sdj, so a mount fails.  The SAN doesn't come
> with client-side multipathing software. That is really up to the OS vendor.
> In this case, I am using device-mapper-multipath on RHEL5.3AP (w/ their
> clustering suite) with a 3Par SAN. The SAN is presenting all of the paths to
> both systems simultaneously. That isn't a problem. And, if I wanted to use
> GFS to have the disk mounted to both servers simultaneously, then that would
> work just fine. But, I can't have the disk mounted on more then one system
> at any given time.
>

> Thanks,
> Kenny

I would say that's a less-than-impressive product that doesn't include the
necessary client-side software.  Looking at 3Par's website, I see that they
have client-side multi-pathing software for AIX and Windows. For Linux,
unfortunately, they recommend using Veritas Cluster Server, which is just so
unnecessary with what RedHat currently offers, as well as VMWare options.
Without an appropriate Linux client to handing the FC connections, you may
not find any other option that's equivalent.

--
mark