OT? Shipping issues?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Mar 24 14:10:43 EDT 2009

On 03/24/2009 10:29 AM, Alex Hewitt wrote:

> The corner mailbox place just called to let me know that Fedex won't
> honor my damage claim. They say "wasn't packed properly". So much for
> using factory supplied cartons. Kind of an expensive way to find out
> that is the insurer and the shipper are the same entity, you're going to
> get hosed. Cost me $350 in parts plus $40 for the nasty shipping and
> doesn't include anything for all the wasted time.

I learned a while back that it is the shipper that is responsible for
filing claims. We had a couple of cases where UPS failed to deliver some
stuff to my wife (for her ebay store). Our regular driver told her that
the substitute driver probably left it at the wrong address. My wife
then started to file a claim, and was then told that the shipper must
file the claim. She contacted the shipper who did file the claim, and
refunded the money to my wife. If you can get the fedex documents, try
to file a claim on the manufacturer. Certainly, FedEx would be
responsible if they mishandled it, but if the item was shipped in
improper packaging, then it is the shippers fault, not Fedex.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix