Upgrade intrepid -> jaunty apt-get issues Could not resolve '@localhost'

bruce.labitt at autoliv.com bruce.labitt at autoliv.com
Tue Nov 3 16:30:48 EST 2009

gnhlug-discuss-bounces at mail.gnhlug.org wrote on 11/03/2009 04:05:05 PM:

> bruce.labitt at autoliv.com writes:
> >
> > Trying to actually make it all the way to karmic, but stopping at
jaunty
> > until this apt-get problem is resolved.
> >
> > apt-get update reports that it failed to fetch blah blah, Could not
> > resolve '@localhost'
>
> Is there a reason that you're paraphrasing (and writing things like
> "blah blah") instead of just pasting the actual output from apt-get?

Yes.  Everyone would cry bloody murder that the post was tooooooo long.
Every repository that apt-get attempted to reach seems to have failed.  At
the end of every
line was the expression "Could not resolve '@localhost' "

For example:
sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for xxxx:
Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty Release.gpg  Could not resolve
'@localhost'
Err http:////us.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Translation-en_US  Could
not resolve '@localhost'
.
.
.
Ten more files --> same message

Reading package lists... Done
W: Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/Release.gpg Could not
resolve '@localhost'
.
.
.
W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

I hope that helped :)

If you need even more detail, I can send it.  It is not convenient for me
because I cannot email from my linux computer.  I have to use sneakernet
for that.  (That is why it isn't all typed out...)

Update manager does not seem to run into this problem.  i.e. UM can
contact the repository...  Maybe that is a clue.

> I imagine you must have had first-hand experience being on the other
> side at some point, trying to debug something without even being sure
> that you have an accurate description of the failure mode--and that
> you know how much harder that can make things :)
>
> I can't tell, from your description, what the actual output leading up
> to the error was, and I'm not even sure I know what the error-message
> per se was. I have a fair amount of experience with Debian and APT, so
> I might be able to figure it out with more, accurate context.
>
> I can appreciate if there's some reason that you need to elide parts
> of the output (e.g.: because it's showing something confidential), but
> otherwise...
>
> Can you help us help you? :)

I'm trying...

-Bruce