Software RAID issues (was Re: Suggestions solicited, server bring up)

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Mon Nov 16 10:39:26 EST 2009

On 15-Nov-2009, Alan Johnson <alan at datdec.com> sent:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net> wrote:
> > I've heard that the RAID is unstable under older Linux
> > kernels, but that was 3~4 years ago, so I suspect it's been
> > fine for a while now.
>
> Software RAID, of course, as hardware RAID should be
> transparent to the OS at the block device point.

No, I meant the hardware RAID. While yes, the drive array
appears as a block device, that block device is being handled by
a driver for the RAID controller, which can have flaws leading
to problems.

I don't recall the specific issue with the PERC under older 2.6
Linux kernels, but I do recall having drive lockups under high
drive utilization with FreeBSD 6.1-R, which was fixed in 6.2.
That was with the PERC5/i in the 2850. I think the 2950 uses
the PERC6.

Again, I suspect any modern Linux on the 2950 should be fine.

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>
http://weblog.2bithacker.net/          KB1QYW        PGP key ID 43C4819E