Looking for stuff that you forgot to throw out

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Nov 30 08:45:25 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Bill Freeman <f at ke1g.mv.com> wrote:
>

> > Summer or Fall '94.  I'm guessing that's older than RH2.1.
>
>   I think you're right.
>
> > And it was a live CD, before the term became rediscovered.
>
>   Yah.  And people today think "live CDs" are slow.  They have *no
> idea*.  Waiting for Yggdrasil to boot from CD on a 486 with 16 MB of
> RAM and a 2X CD-ROM is about equivalent to watching paint dry.  The
> boot messages are slightly more interesting, but the paint will last
> longer, so it's a toss-up.

I once got a Linux going on a Zenith laptop w/ a 386SL.  I used PLIP to get
past the 120 MB drive.  It did have 12 MB of RAM though.

FWIW, there's also FreeDOS out there.  I think it's still under development
and has networking.   The Crynwr packet drivers work with many of the then
current network cards.  The 3com PCMCIA was very popular.  It also has PLIP.