sendmail configuring port numbers

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Wed Oct 14 13:12:28 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Alan Johnson <alan at datdec.com> wrote:
> > yum install postfix
>
>  I honestly considered suggesting trying another MTA, but the only
> MTA I know how to configure is Sendmail, and I didn't know for sure if
> (e.g.) Postfix could do what the OP wants.
>
>  Since you seem to think it can:

Yeah, busted.  I was hoping my lack of truly valuable information would make
it clear that I have no idea how to really help on this issue.  My only
point was that I have found everything to be easier with Postfix, and so if
the opportunity presents itself, switching is a good idea.  If it does not
pay off this time, it is likely to pay off in the near future.

In Postfix, how does one configure different recipient number
> limits, based on sending mail server IP address, or port number
> connected to?

Depending on the number of IP addresses in question, I might setup a
seperate Postfix on a different IP or port with their only function being to
authenticate, check the recipent limit, then relay to localhost:25 for
further processing.  Probably there is an eaiser way but that's what I can
pull out of my... um... head... without doing real research.  It is an
interesting problem though.

> rpm -ihv webmin*.rpm
>
>  It has been several years since I tried Webmin, but I seem to recall
> it could handle Sendmail, too.

Yes, but last I checked, the webmin module for sendmail is very limited.  I
expect the developers had great issues with consistency across platforms
except for a limited number of sendmail options.

--
Alan Johnson
alan at datdec.com