sendmail configuring port numbers Let's try again.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Fri Oct 16 00:25:36 EDT 2009

Ok. I actually learned a huge amount of stuff from my last question, despite
how hard people tried to ridicule my use of sendmail and generally have caused
me to realize that my only out is suicide.

BUT! Before I die, I'd like to know one more thing about ports:

It seems that by default, sendmail listens on ports 25 and 587. Things that
come in on 25 are tagged as MTA. Things that come in on 587 are tagged as MSA.
"Mail Transfer Agent" versus "Mail Submittal Agent". It seems that sendmail
allows for the MSA to be disabled, but the Bat Book goes out of its way to
suggest that you should not. I do know how to specify specific addresses to
specific ports, but I haven't bothered (yet) because 587 in is blocked on my
firewall. Is there a reason that anyone knows about for setting Thunderbird on
my home system to use localhost:587 versus what I had it at before, i.e.,
localhost:25?

I did try to find some info regarding use of Port 24 (LMTP) and it seems there
is a small functional difference in that LMTP does not use a queue and SMTP does.

I'm just curious about this and I was wondering if 587 was somehow running
under a different authentication scheme. e.g., If I'm outside, then I should
use Port 25 with TLS, but on the inside use 587 with no TLS.

Anyone?

BTW, this message is comeing to you via my 587. ;-)

steveo at syslang.net