[OT] Generator testing

Hewitt_Tech hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Wed Sep 9 11:17:49 EDT 2009

Tom Buskey wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org
> <mailto:gaf at blu.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/08/2009 10:18 PM, Ben Scott wrote:
>      >   FWIW, I find this topic fascinating, and quite possibly of interest
>      > to my professional career, so I'd like to hear the stories, too.  :)
>      >

> We have a lab where I am that was killing a hard drive every week.  We
> put the systems on UPS and haven't had a failure since.
>
> We also had problems in the DC during outages because the AC was not on
> the generator.  After an hour w/o AC, the DC would start to overheat &
> we had to shutdown systems anyways.
>
> I heard a story about a generator that passed its periodic tests but
> failed an outage because the fuel pump was not on the generator.

Not quite a war story ;^). When I was in the Army Signal Core I worked
at communications facilities that used battery strings (48V) that
provided station power by feeding very large inverters. In the event of
a commercial power fail one of two 30 kw diesel generators would auto
start and provide the missing AC. The station required approximately 15
kw to maintain operations but the batteries alone could provide at least
24 hours of operation.

We had a second site with a similar configuration. That site had an AC
power failure but the diesel generator didn't start correctly. At that
point the station actually ran for almost 3 days before finally dropping
off line. Of course at that point all hell broke loose. ;^)

-Alex