CALL FOR HELP: Software Freedom Day THIS SATURDAY in Manchester!

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 00:04:38 EDT 2009

 What: Software Freedom Day
  Who: *YOU*
Where: Pulaski Park, Manchester, NH
 Date: Saturday, September 19th, 2009
 Time: Flexible, overall roughly 10 AM to 5 PM

  We need volunteers for Software Freedom Day this Saturday!

  Most of all, we need people to show up and talk to other people. You
can talk about what Software Freedom is and why it's important, or you
can talk about your favorite programs and why they rock.  This isn't a
Linux-only love-fest -- Free Software running on MS Windows, Mac OS X,
or a BSD is equally welcome!  It can Firefox, or OpenOffice, or GIMP,
or whatever.  Free Content music/books are great, too!

  We also need equipment and materials, although they're secondary to
people.  Things we need in any quantity:

   * Tables
   * Chairs
   * Tents/pavilions
   * Discs full of Free Software/Content to give away
   * Laptops running Free Software for demo purposes
   * SWAG -- stickers, T-shirts, button-pins, etc.
   * Stuff to attract attention

  I know we have some Red Hat people in the area.  Come on by with a
pile of Fedora discs!  You don't want the Ubuntu people stealing all
the limelight, do you?  FSF, EFF, Mozilla, Debian, Python and any and
all other projects are welcome too, of course!

  We've got SFD balloons and I plan on buying one of those DIY helium
tank kits.  I'll also be printing a bunch of single-page flyers with
GNHLUG info on them.  Anything else you can think of is great.  Signs,
banners, flags, bumper stickers, shirt stickers, giant stuffed Tux
plush, whatever.

  More ambitious suggests include: Face painting or masks (penguin
beaks, fox ears, etc.).  Carnival-style attractions (popcorn or
snow-cones, or simple games).

  Feel free to just show up!  If you want, you can let us know in
advance -- that way we can pretend we know what's going on.  You can
reply on-list to this message, or privately off-list to me, or sign-up
on the SFD website (see links below), or send a flash drive taped to a
carrier pigeon.  Arc Riley is the lead for this, but he's suffering
from a bad case of Real Life(TM) and asked me to help him coordinate
things.

=== LOCATION ===

Pulaski Park is on Bridge Street in Manchester.  About a block east
from MV Communications.  Lots of foot traffic and high visibility from
Bridge St.  We'll hopefully get between 150 and 250 people through the
day, but no more than a handful at a time.

http://maps.google.com/maps?&q=Pulaski+Park,+Manchester,+NH

The street address looks like 128 Bridge Street.  Lat/lon looks to be
42.994941 North, 71.458731 West.

=== LINKS ===

http://softwarefreedomday.org/teams/northamerica/NH/Manchester

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewHampshireTeam