Why Linksys routers are so cheap...

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 09:34:43 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Hewitt_Tech <hewitt_tech at comcast.net> wrote:
> P.S. I think the above advice just echoes the same message on this list
> several times in the last couple of years. ;^)

  Indeed.

  Most consumer gear like LinkSys, D-Link, Belkin, NetGear et. al., is
cheaply designed, even more cheaply manufactured, and supported
not-at-all.  That's why you can get a router for a buck.  :)

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Hewitt_Tech <hewitt_tech at comcast.net> wrote:
> I would say that back when Linksys was a standalone company they
> did a much better job supporting their gear but that was at least 4 or
> 5 years ago.

  YMMV, I guess.  I had dealt with LinkSys support well before Cisco
bought them, and they sucked then, too.

  FWIW, I do still buy LinkSys and similar stuff for light home use.
When it breaks, I tell people to throw it out and buy a new one.  We
live in a disposable society, unfortunately.

-- Ben