Why Linksys routers are so cheap...

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Sep 22 11:52:06 EDT 2009

On 09/22/2009 09:34 AM, Ben Scott wrote:
> Most consumer gear like LinkSys, D-Link, Belkin, NetGear et. al., is
>
> cheaply designed, even more cheaply manufactured, and supported
> not-at-all.  That's why you can get a router for a buck.  :)
>
>   YMMV, I guess.  I had dealt with LinkSys support well before Cisco
> bought them, and they sucked then, too.
>
>   FWIW, I do still buy LinkSys and similar stuff for light home use.
> When it breaks, I tell people to throw it out and buy a new one.  We
> live in a disposable society, unfortunately.

Several years ago, I had to call Netgear, and at that time I found their
support to be exemplary. I have not contacted them recently, and I hear
from the grapevine that their support is just as poor as Linksys'.
However, the worst equipment (IMHO) is Belkin. Virtually every piece of
equipment I have obtained from Belkin has sucked. I have a small KVM on
my desk at work to switch between my work laptop and my IA64
workstation. At one point my boss told me to get rid of it because I
could not configure my new wide-screen monitor. After some research, I
got a CablesToGo KVM that has been perfect.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix