Enabling Virtual Machine supportn of virtualization. (buying virtualization support)

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Mon Sep 28 14:49:27 EDT 2009

I guess a couple of more things is what you want to use virtualization
for. On my laptop it is almost purely for demo purposes, although I
initially set it up to run some things that could not be done under
Linux, even through WINE. Initially, I needed RealPlayer for my wife,
but RealPlayer Superpass needs Active X and Windows explorer. While
Windows explorer works ok under WINE and CrossoverOffice, RealPlayer 10
does not run under WINE. Initially I ran VMWare Server, but its
performance was lacking, and later I used Virtualbox where the
performance was much better. While I can cite some specific cases where
virtualization improved performance (or more specifically througput),
you are going to take a bit of performance hit.

At home I use KVM/QEMU to run both Windows 7 and Windows XP. My primary
need is to run Citrix which has some issue natively under fedora 11.
Additionally, currently I'm not getting any sound under the guest OS,
but I used to get sound on XP, and I think it is more configurational,
and I just have not yet fixed it because it is not important.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix