Enabling Virtual Machine supportn of virtualization. (buying virtualization support)

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Sep 28 15:20:30 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:

> I guess a couple of more things is what you want to use virtualization
> for. On my laptop it is almost purely for demo purposes, although I

Definitely.  For example, Sun has defined 4 different ways to do
virtualization on SPARC Solaris.  VirtualBox would probably be a 5th type.

One benifit from VMs is upgrading old systems to new hardware.  Sun has
BrandZ to run a Solaris 8 Zone on a Solaris 10 system.  Sun doesn't sell
systems that run Solaris 8 anymore, but much of its installed base is
running Solaris 8.

On VMware, your OS inside the VM sees one model of network card, display,
etc.  When you upgrade your server hardware, your VM just gets copied.  No
reinstall the OS.  If you're leasing your server(s), this can be a big win.