[OT?] call for info on security professional certifications

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Tue Apr 6 10:30:41 EDT 2010

My employer is putting together a position description for an IT Security
Officer.  We expect this to be a senior level sys admin with at least some
specific security experience.  What we are trying to figure out is if we
should included any certifications in either the "required" or "desired"
qualifications.  I'm not particularly interested in general network
certifications like a CCNA which touch on security concepts, but if there is
some kind of "white-hat hacker school for the gifted" cert, or something in
between, I'd love to hear about it.

A little more back ground: our corporate IT environment is MS (currently),
so certs in that department would not hurt, but my understanding is that
this position is going to be primarily focused on our production systems.
Our production stack is primarily MySQL, NFS, and Java on Linux, but we are
working on a project that will make the Solaris kernel a key component.  We
have Juniper SRXs at the edge currently, managed by a third party, but I'm
trying to convince my bosses that we should replace them with pfSense
managed by internal resources, partly for security reasons.

Direct suggestions as well as "me too" comments are appreciated since we are
trying to get a feel for concensus.

Alan Johnson
alan at datdec.com