Froyo on Droid?

Kenny Lussier klussier at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 12:18:58 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski at wayga.org> wrote:
> On 08/16/2010 09:58 AM, Tyson Sawyer wrote:
>> I've read that Android 2.2 is making its way to the original Motorola
>> Droid from Verizon.  I've also read that it doesn't support a few key
>> features that I was looking for and are reported to be present in the
>> "after market" builds.
>>
>> I've done a bunch of searching of the 'net and can't find any clear
>> statements/reviews covering what is missing if I go "after market".  I
>> also can't find any information stating if I can return to the herd if
>> I find problems with the alternate path.
>>
>> Is there anyone in this group that has personal experience with an
>> after market build of Froyo on the original Droid?  ...or does anyone
>> know of a site/link/post that I've missed that gives a more complete
>> picture of what life is like on the outside?
>
> I just got Froyo for my Droid on Saturday.  I'm not sure what I'm
> missing, so I guess ignorance is bliss.  I know that tethering requires
> an extra charge, and Flash support will be available in another update
> due in a few weeks from Verizon.
>
> The biggest problem I have is connecting to my WPA2 OpenWRT install.  I
> had to back it down to WPA instead and is working fine.
>
> As for benefits, voice actions is really nice, and moving applications
> to SD lets me free up a lot of space.  Applications seem snappier and
> having the two additional home screens lets me drop in more widgets.

VzW has stripped out tethering and the mobile hotspot features of
FroYo. The two major ROMs out there for the Droid, Sapphire and
Cyanogen, both re-enable the tethering. Mobile HotSpot has been added
and removed from both ROMs at various points for a multitude of
reasons. The "Official" FroYo from VzW/Moto also includes Motorola's
theme, un-removable apps (Amazon MP3 store, etc.), removes some
configuration options, and a lot of other minor details.

The main reason that I have found for rooting a Droid is to extend
it's life. VzW and/or Moto will most likely not push out any future
updates to the D1. It has officially been EOL'd, Assurion (the cell
phone insurance people) can't replace a D1 with another D1 (they are
offering alternatives), and there are several newer Moto phones that
they would prefer you to buy (VzW is offering early upgrades to D1
users to get them to either the Dx or the D2). So, if there is a
release of Android 2.5 or 3.0, for example, chances are that VzW/Moto
will not push it out to D1 customers. Those who have rooted their
phones will be able to upgrade. This is the case with the G1 from
T-Mobile. That was an Android 1.6 phone that was not supposed to get
any upgrades. There are a lot of people running FroYo on it, and
thanks to the better processing, memory management, etc., it has
breathed new life into their phone.

Check out http://www.droid-life.com.

C-Ya,
Kenny