Froyo on Droid?

Kenny Lussier klussier at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 12:21:25 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Tyson Sawyer <tyson at j3.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski at wayga.org> wrote:
>> I just got Froyo for my Droid on Saturday.  I'm not sure what I'm
>> missing, so I guess ignorance is bliss.  I know that tethering requires
>> an extra charge,
>
> That is my primary complaint.  I don't use much data and feel that I
> already pay plenty for it.  I would VERY much prefer to pay for the
> bandwidth that I use and be permitted to use it the way I want/need
> to.  But I'm not aware of such a plan being available.
>
> I have to admit that I'm as concerned about being subject to arbitrary
> restrictions and choices made by Verizon.  All the "super special
> custom" UI's that replace the stock one do nothing for me and I'd
> rather not be subjected to them.  One reason I chose the Droid was the
> "Stock" UI/Android 2.0/2.1 install with a big promotion of an openness
> and "Droid Does".  I fear that with 2.2 they have stepped back from
> that.
>
> I'm also interested in being able to install packages that may require
> rooting.  The Android Scripting Environment (or what ever the name is
> these days) is more limited if run on a non-rooted phone.  I don't
> know if 2.2 will be rooted on the Droid, thus locking me out of these
> options.
>
> It is worth noting that my phone is currently stock and not rooted.  I
> have never installed the scripting environment or anything else that
> might enjoy a rooted phone.  I do care about paying obscene prices for
> a small amount of data and I just have a reaction (an irrational
> reaction?) to being locked out and treated like an Apple customer.
>
>> As for benefits, voice actions is really nice, and moving applications
>> to SD lets me free up a lot of space.  Applications seem snappier and
>> having the two additional home screens lets me drop in more widgets.
>
> These I am looking forward to! :-)
>
> Thanks!
> Ty

You can replace the stock Moto launcher with ADW.launcher, Helix (or
Helix2), LauncherPro, or a whole host of other launchers that give you
up to 7 home screens, and change the behavior  of the drawer. I am
personally partial to ADW, as it allows me to have a scrollable icon
tray at the bottom of the screen.