Openfire Jabber server

Ben Eisenbraun bene at klatsch.org
Thu Jan 7 16:39:41 EST 2010

Hey Paul,

> Is anyone here using the Openfire Jabber server with large numbers of
> users?

Nope.  There are only about 8 of us, but..

> However, we are finding that it needs to be whacked fairly frequently.
> We've seen Java OOM errors, etc.

We started getting these a few weeks ago, and it coincided with one person
(me!) updating their workstation to Fedora 12 and using its default jabber
client, Empathy.

It seems there is a memory leak in Openfire when used with Empathy clients:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/199324

That may not be your problem, but if things were going along fine until the
last couple months, then the Empathy issue may be your culprit.  Ubuntu
9.10 and Fedora 12 both bundle Empathy as the default IM client.

-ben

--
quantity has a quality all its own.                         <joe stalin>