Openfire Jabber server

Ed Robbins ed at erobbins.com
Thu Jan 7 16:55:38 EST 2010

Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> Hey Paul,
>

>> Is anyone here using the Openfire Jabber server with large numbers of
>> users?
>>

> Nope.  There are only about 8 of us, but..
>

>> However, we are finding that it needs to be whacked fairly frequently.
>> We've seen Java OOM errors, etc.
>>

> We started getting these a few weeks ago, and it coincided with one person
> (me!) updating their workstation to Fedora 12 and using its default jabber
> client, Empathy.
>
> It seems there is a memory leak in Openfire when used with Empathy clients:
>
> http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/199324

I'm very interested in hearing updates regarding this issue.  I'm
working on a design that will utilize Openfire for presence in a
telephony environment.

 From a Java perspective, have you utilized any of the JMX tools to
connect to it while it's running to view it's vitals?  You can also
force it to dump it's heap and then analyze it to see what's using all
of the memory, that may be helpful in determining what the culprit is.

Ed