DECnet and other dead technologies (was: Linux for "cloud computing")

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Sat Mar 6 21:30:47 EST 2010

>I've already heard of people running an emulator on
>top of an emulator inside of a VM solely to keep some old application
>alive.

One or two years ago I was at a small technical college someplace and
the professors (knowing I had worked for DEC) offered to show me an
ancient PDP-11 running RSX-11 that they kept in a locked room.  I
thought it was for the students to play with, but no, they were running
the schools payroll on it. :-(

I asked them what would happen if the machine broke, and they got very
quiet.  Then I told them about the PDP-11 emulators that Bob Supnik and
those guys had put together, and they got all happy again.

md