FLOSS-/hacker-friendly music-players?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Mar 22 16:11:35 EDT 2010

Nice list.  Going through it:

On 03/16/2010 05:47 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:

> * The Touchboo
> ... a little big for foran iPod-replacement

agree

>      * The Pandora

vapor at this point.  They show pictures of mass production from last
year but not available until the end of this year?  They're sold out of
their first run and are not taking any more orders now.

>      * Gizmoforyou.com sells Gumstix-based modular kits called "Flow"...
>        for $800--ouch.

agree

>      * GP2X Wiz:

$180, available from ThinkGeek.  Poor Wikipedia entry, official page is
on Google malware list.  Good looking community.

>      * GP2X: No radios. No Microphone. No longer in production

Yeah, doesn't seem to be worth putting effort into defunct hardware.
Same w/ Roxbox for me.

>      * Dingoo A320: Cheap, and no undesired components.
>        Not expressly FLOSS-friendly, but appears to be non-hostile.

Nice Wikipedia page, good review here:
   http://www.gadgetoid.com/2009/06/06/dingoo-a320-review/

$85.  Linux port exists (dingux) and is community focus, but no updates
since 2009-10.  Lots of game emulators for the kids and apparently
pretty good codec support.  Yum.

I'm not clear what the current userland GUI is in the linux build.
There should be an off-the-shelf solution here, but I don't know of one.

Dingoo apparently isn't a mainboard shop, but is packaging Gemei gear.

Gemei has a similar x760+ unit for about the same price which has
somewhat better features for adults.  Supported by same linux build:
   http://www.dingux.com/2009/09/good-news-on-gemei-x760.html

but is considered less interesting a device by the retro gamers.  I can
see Dad having an x760+ and Dingoos for the kids.

>      * Leapfrog Didj<http://elinux.org/Didj>: Like Dingoo?

This looks like there might be promise but just a bit of preliminary
hacking done to date.

>      * Ares<http://ares.gizmoforyou.com/>: Still vapour. Needs funding.

Sounds like most of my schemes. ;)

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner   BFC Computing, LLC
http://bfccomputing.com/ Telephone: +1.603.448.4440