Nokia N900

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Tue May 11 21:31:52 EDT 2010

Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> writes:

> > I'm looking at upgrading my phone. Even though I won't get 3G, I'm
> > looking at the Nokia N900. Has anyone used it? What are your thoughts?
>
> I really like mine, it have placed my phone & my Zaurus.
>
> Works well on T-Mobile 3G, 2.5G (Is that EDGE?),

Yes--EDGE is `2.5G'.

The usual characterisation is something like `faster than total suck,
but not fast enough to be called 3G'.

Personally, *I* was fine with GPRS..., but I still do my math on a
sliderule....

> 3.5G (WTF is that?),

HSDPA. `3G' is UMTS.

> N900's Key advantage -- root shell is a supported download away.
> Package  repository http://maemo.org/downloads/Maemo5/ has choice of
> many normal Linux packages like Vim, OpenSsh, VNC, Pidgin, Xchat,
> Irssi, Perl modules, Ogg, fbreader & another eBook reader, ...

I think someone described the N900 experience as being basically
`like an openmoko reunion, except that everyone's phone works'.

The caveats: <http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_Maemo>

How's the GPS? I heard from someone that the N810's GPS was lacking,
though I'm still somewhat suspicious of his specific evaluation....