Novell agrees to be acquired by Attachmate.

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Nov 23 15:56:54 EST 2010

On 11/23/2010 10:27 AM, Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:
>> so what goes to Microsoft's consortium?"
>>> concurrent sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN
>>> Holdings LLC.
> Which, from what I read, equates to 800+ patents.
>
> As to the SCO suit, it takes two to sue.  The "new Novell" could say
> that SCO was right all along, and it does own the intellectual property
> rights to Unix.  Or the "new Novell" could say "go screw SCO" and SCO
> (not having the backing of Daddy Warbucks any more, would fold with
> Attachmate "attaching" those IP rights for whatever that is worth.
>
> In any case, this does not look like a "win" for Linux, FOSS in general,
> or even for the computing industry in general.  Just a large consortium
> building their patent pool for trolling.

I would agree.
Since this acquisition will probably not take place for a while because
of regulatory issues, the SCO litigation is still an issue. Since Novell
won twice in court, I suspect they will see it through this appeal
process. Not sure what they will do if the appeals court sends it back
for yet another trial.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix