Novell agrees to be acquired by Attachmate.

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Tue Nov 23 10:27:01 EST 2010

>so what goes to Microsoft's consortium?"

>>concurrent sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN
>>Holdings LLC.

Which, from what I read, equates to 800+ patents.

As to the SCO suit, it takes two to sue.  The "new Novell" could say
that SCO was right all along, and it does own the intellectual property
rights to Unix.  Or the "new Novell" could say "go screw SCO" and SCO
(not having the backing of Daddy Warbucks any more, would fold with
Attachmate "attaching" those IP rights for whatever that is worth.

In any case, this does not look like a "win" for Linux, FOSS in general,
or even for the computing industry in general.  Just a large consortium
building their patent pool for trolling.

md