[GNHLUG] [DLSLUG-Announce] TONIGHT: About Lisp -or- Lambda, the Ultimate Lecture - DLSLUG Monthly Meeting - 2010-10-07

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Oct 6 23:34:30 EDT 2010

[ Note: technophiles on this list may appreciate the Indur Goklany
  lecture, "The Improving State of the World," occurring prior to
  our dinner/meeting, across the street.  More info:
    http://rockefeller.dartmouth.edu/events/programs.html        ]

              Dartmouth-Lake Sunapee Linux User Group
                       http://dlslug.org/
              a chapter of GNHLUG - http://gnhlug.org

The next regular monthly meeting of DLSLUG will be held:

               Thursday, October 7th, 7-9PM
at:            Dartmouth College, Haldeman 041
              23 North Main Street, Hanover, NH

               All are welcome, free of charge.

                          Agenda

5:30  Pre-meeting dinner at EBA's.  RSVP and bring cash.

7:00  Sign-in, networking

7:15  Introductory remarks

7:20  About Lisp -or- Lambda, the Ultimate Lecture
        presented by Yoni Rabkin

      Yoni will first introduce symbolic, conditional and meta
      expressions and their recursive definitions with the
      λ-notation. Then he will briefly describe how such
      expressions might be represented by a computer. He will
      introduce the Lisp REPL and use it to explore a number of
      basic Lisp paradigms such as closures, functional programming,
      and Lisp macros. Finally, we shall look at the past and
      present of Lisp as a language.

      Yoni Rabkin studied computer science and math and after a
      stint testing medical lasers has been a working programmer
      for the past 6 years. Yoni has been volunteering at the Free
      Software Foundation's GPL Compliance Lab since 2006.

-----
                       Driving Directions

       Please see the website for links to driving directions.

                          Refreshments

       We currently lack a refreshment sponsor.  If you or your
       company would like to provide or sponsor refreshments,
       please get in touch.

                             RSVP

       RSVP by replying to this e-mail so we can give any
       refreshment sponsor a count.

                          Mailing Lists

       There are two primary mailman lists set up for DLSLUG, an
       Announce list and a Discuss list. Please sign up for the
       Announce list (moderated, low-volume) to stay apprised of
       the group's activities and the Discuss list (unmoderated)
       for group discussion. Links to the mailing lists are on the
       webpage.

                        Tell Your Friends

       Please pass this announcement along to anyone else who may
       be interested.

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle