Recommended rsync tutorials?

Roger H. Goun roger at bcah.com
Tue Oct 19 17:42:23 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 17:34, Ben Eisenbraun <bene at klatsch.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 05:24:26PM -0400, Roger H. Goun wrote:
>> Don't forget to add --rsh=ssh or --rsh="ssh -l ssh-user" to the rsync
>> command line.
>
> ssh has been the default transport for rsync for 7 or 8 years now.

I wondered about that, because I noticed it wasn't present in the
examples previously given, but I recall needing to use it back in the
day, so I checked the rsync(1) man page on OS X. Apparently I was
misled by this passage:

"From  the user's perspective, a daemon transfer via a remote-shell
connection uses nearly the same command-line syntax as a normal
rsync-daemon  transfer,  with  the only exception being that you must
explicitly set the remote shell program on the command-line with the
--rsh=COMMAND option."

-- R.