question on l on equipment for a local fiber installation

James Seagraves seagravesinnovationconsulting at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:22:33 EDT 2010

Hi everyone

I have a house northern NH that is 3000' from the nearest telephone pole.
We have had satellite Internet service and the speed and download
limits (16 Gb/30 days)  are a real pain.  So we are looking at replacing
the satellite with the local cable provider.  The problem is
our distance from the nearest pole.

After talking with the cable rep and pricing out the large coax cable
he wanted to run up the hill, I decided to price out using fiber
as the intermediate link for the 3000' feet.  We know from
 talking  with the cable company that many sites in the area are
doing something similar (their school and university customers).

I asked the local fiber company from VT to give us a quote on
the parts needed to take the cable coax signal, convert it to
light and send it up the hill to our house.  The company
only gave me a total cost and is refusing so far to
give me the parts details and unit costs.

So I would like to know if anyone on ghlug list has already done
this sort of thing and has a breakdown of the parts cost.
I have been trying to find distributors/ other local
supplies with no luck.  google has not been very heplful
so far.

I am looking for the make/model of the coax<->fiber mux/demux
and the bulk cost for 3000' of  SM many strand optic fiber.

Also, if you know of any NH suppliers that would be a help too.

thanks
Jim Seagraves