question on l on equipment for a local fiber installation

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Tue Oct 26 14:35:36 EDT 2010

Narad Networks -- a place where I helped out on occasion -- was doing
essentially the exact opposite: fiber on the poles, coax to the home.
There's one problem, though, that they were able to resolve that could be
an additional sticking point for you: getting power to the equipment at
the pole.  I'm sure there's a solution, but it's certainly something
you'll want to think about from both monetary and "political" standpoints.

-Ken

On Tue, October 26, 2010 1:22 pm, James Seagraves wrote:
> Hi everyone
>

> I have a house northern NH that is 3000' from the nearest telephone pole.
>  We have had satellite Internet service and the speed and download
> limits (16 Gb/30 days)  are a real pain.  So we are looking at replacing
> the satellite with the local cable provider.  The problem is our distance
> from the nearest pole.
>
> After talking with the cable rep and pricing out the large coax cable
> he wanted to run up the hill, I decided to price out using fiber as the
> intermediate link for the 3000' feet.  We know from talking  with the
> cable company that many sites in the area are doing something similar
> (their school and university customers).
>

> I asked the local fiber company from VT to give us a quote on
> the parts needed to take the cable coax signal, convert it to light and
> send it up the hill to our house.  The company only gave me a total cost
> and is refusing so far to give me the parts details and unit costs.
>
> So I would like to know if anyone on ghlug list has already done
> this sort of thing and has a breakdown of the parts cost. I have been
> trying to find distributors/ other local supplies with no luck.  google
> has not been very heplful so far.
>
> I am looking for the make/model of the coax<->fiber mux/demux
> and the bulk cost for 3000' of  SM many strand optic fiber.
>
> Also, if you know of any NH suppliers that would be a help too.
>

> thanks Jim Seagraves
>

> --
> dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.