Android PMPs (was: Qi-Hardware Nanonote group purchase?)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Wed Sep 8 22:43:44 EDT 2010

Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com> writes:

> "Shawn O'Shea" <shawn at eth0.net> writes:
> > On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Posted this at work also, then figured maybe someone on this list
> > > would be interested:
> > >
> > > I'm going to buy one of these to see how well it can replace my
> > > now-defunct, Rockbox-running iPod:
> > >
> > >         http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Hardware-Ben
> >
> > Looks interesting. I'm waiting for the crop of Android-based PMPs coming out
> > from the big names for my next iPod replacement. A few are in the pipe like
> > the two announced at IFA in Germany this week.
> > Samsung Galaxy Player 50 - http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/03/
> > samsung-galaxy-player-50-hands-on/
> > Philips GoGear Connect - http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/
> > philips-gogear-connect-hands-on/
>
> Have you seen the Archos Android tablets? There are 2 of them out,
> right now (first hit the market late last year), also with other
> models on the way; it looks like Archos is actually behaving as a
> good member of the FOSS community, too.

And, on that note..., it looks like Archos just added a whole
slew of new Android (Froyo) PMPs-etc. devices to their listing,
a week ago; to put it concisely: they come in 10.0", 7.0", 4.3",
3.2", and 2.8". There's also now an 8" one with a form more like
a `picture-frame' (not to mention the 5" one that was introduced
last year). It looks like, out of the new batch, they're currently
selling the 3.2" one with the others due to sell next month.

(I haven't seen this posted to Slashdot, yet--if anyone here would
like the karma, go for it ;)).

There's no indication (yet?) whether they're going to support the
FOSS developer community on the new devices to the same extent
they they support us on the ones from last year--but here's hoping.

(Oh, and: is there a better shorthand than "PMP"? I keep reading
"android pimps", and it just... doesn't sit right...)