[FOSS] How does one respond to this line of questioning?

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at myfairpoint.net
Fri Apr 8 21:37:12 EDT 2011

Thanks, one and all, for your insights.  I hadn't intended
this thread to quite play out the way it did, but it was at
the very least entertaining in some way.

I don't develop software for a living.  I do use programming
languages to model systems, to create product(s) with new
capabilities, or to test proposed (or existing) systems to
ensure *non-surprising* behavior.  So I try to use languages
or tools on computers that help me evaluate these systems in
the least amount of time.

I'm neither a FOSS zealot, nor a *closed source* guy.  I
don't care how the job gets done as long as: 1) it works, 2)
it is documented, so that others can understand what  has
been done, and 3) others can eventually take on the work.
That way I become available to undertake another assignment,
typically another tough problem.  FOSS can be one way to get
the job done.

md's observation of evaluating whether or not FOSS would be
useful (at the beginning of a project) is spot on.  I made
that evaluation - and decided on using FOSS for my little
exercise.  Will I have to port my stuff to non-FOSS?
Maybe.  It doesn't much matter to me, actually.  What
matters to me that items 1, 2, & 3 in the previous paragraph
have been accomplished in a timely fashion.

-Bruce