My Gnome (registry) is b0rken.

Brian Shaver brian at 4-dogs.biz
Fri Apr 22 10:05:31 EDT 2011

Ken,
I had a similar experience recently with places opening /mplayer/ in the
manner in which you describe for vlc.
It is as you suspected a file association issue, or at least it was in
my case.

You basically can fix it by manually starting nautilus and using the
"Open With..." to reset the preference for directory objects to nautilus.

My problem occurred after doing something with a DVD which caused me to
try to open a folder with /mplayer/ and the option 'Remember this
application for "folder" files' is set by default.

Here's the bug I found which referenced the issue and includes more
detailed steps to resolve it:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/667071

Hope this fixes your problem.

Brian ..