Plug Computers for whole-home audio (was: [GNHLUG] REMINDER: ManchLUG: Tuesday April 19th @ Wings Your Way - Manchester NH)

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Fri Apr 22 11:40:55 EDT 2011

Actually, a confluence of events has me playing with my Sheeva today.  By
sheer circumstance, I
- Need to replace my bedroom computer with something quiet
- Bought a 10-port powered USB hub
- Acquired, gratis, a USB-to-VGA converter
- Saw a video of someone running Gnome off of a Sheeva plug.

It seemed like the perfect setup for my Sheeva to step in.  Unfortunately,
for one, as of 9.10(?), Ubuntu no longer supports the Sheeva; they compile
for a higher CPU than the Sheeva has.  Then, my 16 GB SD card gave up the
ghost.  So I'm installing Debian on a newly acquired card; what with only
512 MB of RAM, I don't anticipate that I'll be making huge inroads into
graphical editing or anything, but assuming I get it working as a
"workstation," it'll just be DamnCool(tm).

-Ken