Plug Computers for whole-home audio (was: [GNHLUG] REMINDER: ManchLUG: Tuesday April 19th @ Wings Your Way - Manchester NH)

Marc Nozell (marc@nozell.com) nozell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 15:51:07 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:
> Actually, a confluence of events has me playing with my Sheeva today.  By
> sheer circumstance, I
> - Need to replace my bedroom computer with something quiet
> - Bought a 10-port powered USB hub
> - Acquired, gratis, a USB-to-VGA converter
> - Saw a video of someone running Gnome off of a Sheeva plug.
>
> It seemed like the perfect setup for my Sheeva to step in.  Unfortunately,
> for one, as of 9.10(?), Ubuntu no longer supports the Sheeva; they compile
> for a higher CPU than the Sheeva has.  Then, my 16 GB SD card gave up the
> ghost.  So I'm installing Debian on a newly acquired card; what with only
> 512 MB of RAM, I don't anticipate that I'll be making huge inroads into
> graphical editing or anything, but assuming I get it working as a
> "workstation," it'll just be DamnCool(tm).

pro-tip: to save your SD card from excessive writes, look at
flashybrid. It works well for me.

 Flashybrid is a system to help in setting up and managing hybrid
 flash/disk/ram based Debian systems which can run most of the time
 using only a small flash disk for their root filesystem and do a useful,
 but limited task (such as being a router, or a PDA, or a rescue system
 on a USB keydrive). The flash can be as small as 32 mb, though 64 to 256
 mb is more comfortable.

-marc