Browsers

Jerry Feldman gaf at gapps.blu.org
Wed Aug 3 16:02:25 EDT 2011

On 08/03/2011 03:54 PM, Ryan Lee Stanyan wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 15:39 -0400, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:

>>> Interesting to see the number of "legitimate" news organizations that
>>> just swallowed the hoax and reported on it without checking into it at
>>> all.
>>>
>>> Makes you wonder about the authenticity of other "news items" reported
>>> by them.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> It's called "churnalism"--cf.:
>>
>>     http://www.onthemedia.org/2011/mar/04/churning-out-pr/transcript/
>>
>>     http://www.pbs.org/idealab/2011/03/churnalismcom-reveals-press-release-copy-in-news-stories068.html
>>
>>     http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/04/21/135568766/everything-you-know-about-this-band-is-wrong
>>
>> (that last one is particularly interesting: it's an NPR journalist saying,
>>  more or less, `it's the PR people's fault--their press releases lie to us!').
>>
>> The news-media still generally report that `Linux still has yet to get
>> to even 1% market share', too--I want to know where they keep getting
>> *that* figure.
>>

> I think it's called "news entertainment" nowadays.  Just make a huge
> headline libeling someone and then post the retraction weeks later
> buried somewhere in the back.

May 18th or 19th 1980 Boston Channel 7's John Henning reported that the
Great Blue Hill in Canton, Ma was erupting. This was a story that his
news producer inserted. The producer got fired, I don't recall if
Henning was fired or not, but he subsequently left and became the
statehouse reporter at channel 4.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at gapps.blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix