[OT] Adding recruiters to LinkedIn connection list?

Kevin D. Clark kevin_d_clark at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 11:51:17 EDT 2011

Michael ODonnell writes:

> It seems likely that there is (possibly substantial!) value to
> a recruiter in being able to see my connections, but is there
> value (or harm) to me?

There is a setting in LinkedIn called "Select who can see your
connections".  One of the reasons why I have set this to "only me" is
exactly for the reason that you cite.

(I look at a site like LinkedIn and think to myself "gosh, this is a
recruiter's dream!")

So, if I am connected to some recruiter on LinkedIn, I generally
understand that the only connections they can see on my LinkedIn page
are the people who I have recommended or who have recommended me.

(I hope this is also true for people who hold "premium" LinkedIn
accounts, but I am unsure of this particular aspect of LinkedIn's
site.)

I'm connected to some recruiters on LinkedIn ; I'm pretty much at the
point of concluding that 80% of these recruiter contacts represent
little upside for me.  I might do something about this soon...

Regards,

--kevin
--
alumni.unh.edu!kdc / http://kdc-blog.blogspot.com/
GnuPG: D87F DAD6 0291 289C EB1E 781C 9BF8 A7D8 B280 F24E

 Wipe him down with gasoline 'til his arms are hard and mean
 From now on boys this iron boat's your home
 So heave away, boys.
   -- Tom Waits