Label-printers for CUPS/Linux?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Jul 14 15:00:48 EDT 2011

I'm looking at possibly getting a label-printer
to hook up to one of my Debian machines, and hoping
that maybe someone here can give me some guidance
because (1) I've never had a PC-driven label-printer
and (2) I might be doing something unusual...:

I want to use libvisualid to generate tags to keep my
party-guests' drink-cups straight. If I can just print
the glyphs directly onto smallish, sticky paper labels,
then then the whole thing is straightforward.

So, I'm looking for a label-printer that will work with
my Linux machine, and that can print arbitrary graphics
rather than just text or bar-codes.

Any suggestions?