Computer show Saturday, in Manchester

Bayard Coolidge n1ho at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 20:49:46 EDT 2012

Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> said:

I was at the same UNH with Linus too.

"Me, too"... And still have the autographed CD here in my collection.

I bounced around between SuSE, RedHat, and Debian, and pretty much settled on openSUSE 11.mumble
for a few years before I finally got tired of all of the driver changes and other crap with browsers, browser plug-ins,
etc., etc., etc.... To paraphrase Warren Oates' "Sergeant Hulka" of "Stripes", I'm getting too old for this <stuff> and
last winter finally caved to the Walled Garden and am now working with a 27" iMac. However, I can/do still do
things "my way" by bringing up a terminal window and using Bash to Get Things Done. Fortunately, I can do a
lot of my ham radio stuff with the iMac, but unfortunately, there are still some apps out there that I need to run that
won't run under OS X nor any flavor of Linux - WINE and its descendants/derivatives simply won't cut it - and
resort to using a 10.1" netbook. And, I'm still subscribed to the GNHLUG list even though I haven't been back in
the Granite State in several years... And I do occasionally throw a distro on a USB drive on my Netbook just to
see what the state of the art is at the moment.

Bayard