Computer show Saturday, in Manchester

Brian St. Pierre brian at bstpierre.org
Tue Aug 21 11:25:45 EDT 2012

On 08/18/2012 08:49 PM, Bayard Coolidge wrote:
> Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> said:
>> I was at the same UNH with Linus too.
>
> "Me, too"... And still have the autographed CD here in my collection.

Me too, me too! Though I didn't think to get my CD autographed. I
thought it was fall '95? (Pretty sure I was still living in what was
basically a converted broom closet in Devine Hall, but maybe I'm
counting wrong.) I think by 97 (definitely by 98) they had ripped out
the VT220s from the engineering labs and installed linux PCs.

I remember spending most (all?) of the night following Linus' talk and
the following day defragging windows, repartitioning, installing,
rebuilding a kernel, getting drivers to work, (re-)re-partitioning so
everything fit... I was pretty psyched about actually having *unix* in
my room -- with gcc and everything! -- without having to connect to an
overburdened campus unix server, worry about the connection dropping, etc.

-Brian