From failed drive to hero in many steps

Mike Bilow mikebw at colossus.bilow.com
Tue Dec 11 06:13:34 EST 2012

It may have been helpful for you to know about SysRescueCD, a live Linux
distribution optimized specifically for data recovery. It is based on
Gentoo and is available as a simple ISO file that is intended to be
burned to CD, although it can also be put onto a bootable USB stick.
More information here:

http://www.sysresccd.org/

In addition to including "dd_rescue" which as you discovered would be
the most important tool, it comes with a number of utilities to mount
and repair NTFS beyond the capability of native Windows.

A particularly important tool that you didn't turn out to need is
"PhotoRec," which is capable of recovering recognizable data files even
when the file system container is unmountable or substantially missing.
It works by having intimate internal knowledge of a fairly long list of
common data file formats, such as JPEG image and MS Word DOC, hunting
through raw disk clusters and piecing them together like a jigsaw
puzzle. It is included in SysRescueCD but can be downloaded
independently, and there is also a Windows version:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Although "PhotoRec" is less effective with natively compressed formats
such as DOCX, SXW, and ODT, it is very effective with everything it
recognizes, often approaching 99% recovery for JPEG.

Finally, CrashPlan is a cloud backup service that supports Linux clients
as well as Windows and MacOS clients. The software is free, allowing you
to back up one computer to your other computers, but there is an
optional CrashPlan Plus service that allows unlimited backup to their
cloud from one computer for about $6 per month or unlimited backup from
up to ten computers ("family plan") for about $12 per month, with
discounts as much as 50% for paying a year or more in advance. You can
elect various levels of encryption for your cloud data, the middle level
of which uses a passphrase to encrypt a 448-bit session key without
which your data would be unrecoverable even under a subpoena to the
cloud provider:

http://www.crashplan.com/consumer/download.html?os=Linux

Note that the CrashPlan client for Linux can run in a quasi-documented
"headless" mode on a machine that has no GUI at all and is remotely
controlled over the network. In fact, I often control the headless Linux
client by connecting to it from a Windows client over the network. The
Linux client is written in Java and runs fine under OpenJDK, including
in headless mode using headless OpenJDK (for which Debian has package
"openjdk-6-jre-headless"). Although the quasi-documentation could be
better, it is here:

http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/how_to/configure_a_headless_client

-- Mike