FairPoint DNS hijacking?

Jim McGinness Jim.McGinness at att.net
Fri Dec 14 10:41:01 EST 2012

We signed up for Fairpoint DSL on our home line (already had it on a different line, but our hope is that we could discontinue the old one once the new one was working satisfactorily).

New service, new Westell 7500 modem/router...

When first connecting, the Westell does the DNS redirect thing to a page that looks a lot like the one you're reporting. They want you to log in with a "supported" browser and OS so you can run an "fpinstall" program that ties your modem to your phone line and removes the built-in block/redirect. I also installed Fairpoint DSL at our place in Maine a few weeks ago and, on that line, the "fpinstall" action was performed by an installation program that came on a CD in the box with the Westell.

Done once, I have the impression you should not have to do it ever again unless you reset your modem to factory defaults.

I'm afraid that doesn't provide much light on why it was happening to you on Sunday.

 -- jmcg