Cataloging media - books, CDs, DVDs

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 00:47:54 EST 2012

Hello, list!

  Happy Festivus.

ABSTRACT

  I have decided I need to catalog my purchased media (books, CDs,
DVDs).  I'm seeking solution(s) to this problem.  I figure other
people here have already solved this problem.

SCENARIO

  I have personal collections of commercial books, CDs (music), and
DVDs (movies).  Their size has reached the point where I can no longer
reliably remember what I have.[1]  Plus, I'm a geek, so much like a
hobbit, I like to have databases filled with things that I already
know, set out fair and square with no contradictions.

RESOURCES

  Large piles of said media, generally with their original labeling
intact.  In particular, they mostly have barcodes.

  A USB barcode reader with keyboard wedge (i.e., scan a code, and the
PC thinks I typed it).

  My willingness to go through and scan everything.

  An Internet connection.  A PC running Linux (Debian 6.0).

REQUIRED

  A1. Title lookup.  Scan a code for an item, feed the code into the
solution (program or website), and have the solution look up all the
rest of the details (title, author/artist, etc.).

  A2. Batch import.  So I can just go along scanning items, without
the need to fiddle with the program after each item.  Example: If I
scan up a list of ISBNs, I'd like to be able to feed that entire list
into the solution in one swell foop.

  A3. Manual title lookup.  If a unique ID isn't available, search by
other fields and select the one I want.  Example: I'd like to be able
to tell the solution that I have Boston's self-titled album, and have
it add that.

  A4. Manual entry of entire items.  If the centralized database(s)
doesn't have any info, I can type it in.  Examples: If I have an
unpublished film on DVD, I'd like to be able to catalog it.  If I have
a thick technical manual for an obscure software program, I'd like to
be able to catalog it.

  A5. Export.  Can export everything I've ever entered in a portable
format (text CSV, XML, etc.).  If they want to keep their add-on info
proprietary, that's okay, but I at least want my ISBNs and manual
entries back if asked.

  A6. Mobile access.  If I'm in a store and want to know if I already
have a title, I'd like to be able to check that from my handheld
computer (AKA cell phone).

  A7. Non-evil.  Should not make me hate it more than minimally necessary.

  A8. Locations.  Ability to define locations, and catalog items to
those locations.  Example: Tell it that /The Name of the Wind/ is on
the second shelf of the third bookcase.

  A9. No spam.  I don't want to get email from this thing unless it's
something critical.  An example of "critical" would be "my account has
been compromised".  An example of non-critical would be "a special
offer from one of their partners".

  A10. Some privacy.  I don't want anyone just selling my email
address and catalog to other companies, or published for just anyone
to read.

  A11. The ability to look up things in my catalog, to see if I have
them already, and if so, where.

  A12. Works with Linux, Firefox (if applicable), my current handheld
(BlackBerry), future handhelds (likely Android, likely others).

PREFERRED

  B1. "Free".  Willing to trade some privacy for services, that is,
I'm willing to let some company know all the books/movies/etc I have,
and present targeted ads within the solution, based on that
information.

  B2. Web interface.  It's universal and provides A6.

  B3. The ability to do sorts, filters, reports, stats, etc., on my
catalog.  C.f. geek/hobbit, above.

  B4. The ability to export all catalog info to portable format.  Like
A5, but including info they've looked up for me.  So if I gave it just
ISBNs, I'd still get a file with ISBN, title, author, publication
date, etc.

NON-REQUIREMENTS

  C1. The solution does not have to be the same for all types of media
(books, CDs, DVDs).  If one thing can do it all, great, but I'd rather
have three tools that do a good job, than one that does a mediocre
job.

  C2. Social networking, suggestions, sharing, etc.  I've got no
objections to those, provided they don't get in my way.  I'm even
likely to find such things useful, but that's not my primary goal.

FINDINGS

  Library Thing: Specifies a 200 book limit for "free" accounts.  Stop.

  Good Reads: Does not specify any limit.  Appears to satisfy A1, A2,
A3, A5, A6, A11, A12, B1, B2 in my testing.  Appears to offer options
which would satisfy A8, A9, A10, B4, some B3.  May do A4 (manual item)
if I jump through hoops; not sure what their requirements for a "book"
are.  Appears to be targeted at books exclusively.  Did not recognize
the UPC from a couple of film and music discs I tried.  Decided to ask
GNHLUG.

CONCLUSION

  Given that this is a list full of Linux users who share many of my
obsessions, I figure this is an ideal place to ask.  Plus, we can
share our experiences, and everyone benefits.

  Thoughts?

-- Ben

[1] I suspect it actually went past this point a while ago, but it's
taken me this long to admit it.